Red Shirt Survey Results Summary
IT Admins Just Want Appreciation and For You to Reboot Your Computer
At a time when IT administrators are expected to do more with increasingly shrinking budgets, the Ipswitch Network Management Division thought it would be both interesting and beneficial to conduct a survey to gain better insight into the day in the life of an IT admin. What makes them tick, what motivates them and what will help them be more efficient.
Ipswitch surveyed more than 140 IT administrators in the United States to reveal the pains and passions of hard-working network professionals. Ipswitch also polled IT administrators in Germany, France and the UK.
U.S. Red Shirt Survey Results
1. What could users do to make IT admins’ lives happier?
- Appreciate their hard work – 37 percent
- Reboot their machines before asking for help – 34 percent
- Share what applications they’ve downloaded on their laptops ("Shadow IT") – 15 percent
- Share what personal devices ("BYOD") they use on the wireless network – 14 percent
2. What would make IT admins feel more empowered at work?
- Ability to choose and buy the technology they need – 38 percent
- X-ray vision to figure out the source of a problem on the network – 27 percent
- Recognition for having a tough job – 19 percent
- User mute button – 11 percent
- An invisibility cloak so users can’t open a trouble ticket in person – 5 percent
3. How much of their time do IT admins spend reacting to network or user problems?
- 0-20% of their time – 13 percent
- 20-40% of their time – 27 percent
- 40-60% of their time – 39 percent
- 60-80% of their time – 19 percent
- 80-100% of their time – 2 percent
4. What are the most popular activities or programs (such as music and video streaming) that bandwidth hoarders use the most?
- YouTube or Vimeo – 53 percent
- Pandora or Spotify – 19 percent
- iTunes – 7 percent
- Torrent application – 5 percent
- Adult content – 2 percent
- Other – 14 percent
5. What makes IT admins happiest to watch or play outside of work?
- Big Bang Theory – 28 percent
- Star Trek – 20 percent
- Game of Thrones – 11 percent
- Dr. Who – 7 percent
- Simpsons – 7 percent
- LEGOs – 5 percent
- Star Wars – 4 percent
- Halo – 4 percent
- Minecraft – 2 percent
- Other – 12 percent
6. What event do IT admins want to attend most?
- An IT industry conference of their choice – 51 percent
- E3 – 18 percent
- Comic-Con – 16 percent
- Other – 15 percent